Tower of refuge walk

Can someone explain this relatively recent thing where people queue up with hundreds (thousands according to 3fm) of others to walk out to the tower of refuge when it’s packed?

Why not do it last night, or this morning, or tomorrow morning or night?

• Like 1

Just now, Anthony Ingham said:

Can someone explain this relatively recent thing where people queue up with hundreds (thousands according to 3fm) of others to walk out to the tower of refuge when it’s packed?

Presumably an organised event with safety precautions that coincides with tide, daylight and at a time when most people can participate. 

• Like 5

Have walked there a few times, once on an organised event.  The Tower of Refuge is quite a thing to see up close, it is huge and worth the effort.

However, it is easy to see how dangerous it could be if you misjudge the tides, and the distance from shore, so an organised event takes that risk away. 

Also used as a fundraiser isn't it? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Also used as a fundraiser isn't it? 

Maybe.

I would still rather make a contribution and head out there one of the several times a year you can do it safely in your own small group though.

The videos and photos of tonight look like hell on earth to me.

2 minutes ago, 2bees said:

We went on the walk “with the kids” a couple of years ago, it was a nice thing to do but mostly uneventful and quite boring.

When the Strand Centre was opened, people came from far away (Bride) to ride on the escalator. This is life on the IoM.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

The story was that it was always kept stocked with food so shipwrecked sailors could have sustenance while waiting for rescue.  Don't know how true that was, but I think it also had an ice cream stand in the heyday of tourism. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you, but you have a point - although Gladys is right about being a fundraiser.

I've always thought the same about the parish walk too. Paying £30 to walk around on public roads just seems crazy to me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you, but you have a point - although Gladys is right about being a fundraiser.

I've always thought the same about the parish walk too. Paying £30 to walk around on public roads just seems crazy to me.

You and crazy dave should organise a house party... It'll be a hoot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The story was that it was always kept stocked with food so shipwrecked sailors could have sustenance while waiting for rescue.  Don't know how true that was, but I think it also had an ice cream stand in the heyday of tourism. 

Yes, blankets and stuff too I believe - everything you need to shipwreck in style.

Have always thought it looked like a submarine from Douglas, depending on the tides.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Uh I don’t know, because people enjoy doing it safely and as a community event you miserable individual. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

You and crazy dave should organise a house party... It'll be a hoot 

Could be worse.

Could be a night in bitching about a Ramsey commissioner without actually having understood what she was saying or having the balls to go back to the thread and admit you were wrong

• Haha 1

There have been occasions when people have wondered out there as the tide was coming in and got stranded.

Unless you know the tides it is not as straightforward as it might seem.

• Like 3