Cavendish & Tour De France Masterthread

Newsbot

Happened to catch the last 1k of today's stage, the finish shot (head on) didn't look anything special

then you see the helicopter shot of the final run in...................only one word for Cav...........awsome!!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe if he continues to deliver such awesome achievements as today's sprint for another few years

...we might even get round to naming a bicycle shed after him - and present him with a pair of kippers!

tee hee hee.

http://www.letour.fr/indexus.html - even the official site called him a 'Manxman' this time!

"Wait 'til I get my claws on this pesky cyclist and drag him back down into the bucket with the rest of us" thinks Manx Crab.

"I wonder when Manx people might actually recognise Cav's amazing achievements at this year's Tour de France rather than ridiculing such a suggestion. Probably be quite a while if Manx Forums is anything to go by..." thinks ponderer!

Created this thread & merged the previous one to keep it all in one place - hope that makes sense somehow & prevents a gazillion threads about the same thing....

I saw him having his elbow patched up by a medic in a support vehicle. Mark was still on his bike, holding on to the vehicle and being towed along whilst getting treatment. Surely its against the rules to be towed by a support vehicle? I hope he doesn't get penalised....

He's crashed today. Alright though.

I used to hate those bicycle race crashes when I used to watch them on the Willaston cct - monster grazes all the way up peoples legs and arms, broken teeth and collar bones - yeeouch. Coming off at 40mph with little protection on a gravelled road in amongst 20 other bikes crashing at the same time isn't my idea of fun. They used to pelt down Johnny Wattersons Lane and turn left onto Ballanard Road at one time - whoever thought of making them go that way around the cct must have been a sadist.

I saw him having his elbow patched up by a medic in a support vehicle. Mark was still on his bike, holding on to the vehicle and being towed along whilst getting treatment. Surely its against the rules to be towed by a support vehicle? I hope he doesn't get penalised....

Unwritten rule / gentleman's agreement type thing that they turn a blind eye to that sort of thing after a crash.

Unwritten rule / gentleman's agreement type thing that they turn a blind eye to that sort of thing after a crash.

No, it's a rule that when receiving treatment from the Doc they can hold onto the car while doing so, however there's a distance limit within the finishing line where they can no longer do this, I forget how far out though. :o

Maybe I'm thinking of injured riders drafting behind team cars then? I saw that going on last year when Vinokourov crashed, and the commentators said nobody would mind in the circumstances. They certainly turn a blind eye to towing if a rider has a mechanical problem (so long as they don't take the mickey with it).

A perfect tribute to Marks achievements would be for the government to stop pissing money on a whole host of other ridiculous projects and commit to building the Velodrome that has been talked about previously.

Its something that can benefit children for generations to come. We clearly have some fantastic talent for cycling in the Isle of Man and hopefully some of this talent will want to coach and develop the kids who will be inspired by Mark's (and other Manxies) achievements. And I am sure we could stage a few events around the year attracting talent from other countries.

Plus the Cavendish Velodrome sounds ok to me !!

"Mark Cavendish velodrome"!

Now we are talking. It needs to be carefully designed and funded so that the venue is flexible with lots of uses and options.

But at least Cav's amazing achievements would be properly recognised and the Manx Forum (and other) whingers silenced.

I still think it would be more bold to rename the airport and really put the island and Cav's achievements on the map. This would be bold yet cost less.

But if resources are available to fund a 'Mark Cavendish velodrome' that would be amazing! There is a really strong case for the island to put more money into cycling excellence...

I still can't believe that Cav is only the second british rider in history to win 2 Tour de France stages in one year. A huge tribute to manx cycling.

Onward cav to your 3rd 2008 le tour stage!!

Archived