Civil service fat cats "a myth"

Amadeus

Can anyone suppose how the Govt might have spent a million on RECRUITMENT in years when the head count is supposed to be dropping?

Adverts don't cost THAT much and many adverts seem to involve applying to Government directly, so no finders fee of 10% of salary paid to a recruitment agency in many cases...

Also, as we know, several roles are only made available internally at the government - so no need to advertise those to the public.

Aye, that was the first number to jump and hit me between the goolies as well....

I'm losing the will to live on Mann....

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone suppose how the Govt might have spent a million on RECRUITMENT in years when the head count is supposed to be dropping?Adverts don't cost THAT much and many adverts seem to involve applying to Government directly, so no finders fee of 10% of salary paid to a recruitment agency in many cases.

Agency fees would be around 15-20% so that's about £5m of salaried positions recruited for in one year; in an organisation where headcount is supposed to be dropping. I would also guess that most of that is spent with off Island agencies to attract 'talent' into the IOM public sector rather than with local agencies and adverts.

I'm surprised Shimmin has spoken at all.

Following his "fall on my sword" routine, Shimmin desperately needed to get back into a ministerial position to keep his pre-retirement salary as high as possible. He's coming up to 55 and can retire on full (double accrued) practically non-contributory pension at almost any time. £250k lump sum (tax free) and a life of leisure (he can go on cruises with his brother!)

Fat Cat.

We're all in it together.

So....given Shimmin's original statement vs the figures provided on this thread by those diligent enough to do some digging;

a) Is Shimmin misinformed by those who provided him with the figures to make his statement - or

b) Is this a deliberate attempt to mislead the public, or at best, a bit of spin?

Who cares...?

It's very obvious the whole farrago is completely out of control.

Time to show some fucking LEADERSHIP Mr Bell!

Dream on...

He's too busy in Carrefour gym to bother about such trivial matters as as £100m budget deficit.

Can anyone suppose how the Govt might have spent a million on RECRUITMENT in years when the head count is supposed to be dropping?

Adverts don't cost THAT much and many adverts seem to involve applying to Government directly, so no finders fee of 10% of salary paid to a recruitment agency in many cases...

Also, as we know, several roles are only made available internally at the government - so no need to advertise those to the public.

The whole 'internal applicants only' thing bugs me no end ... Keep it in the family ? A few bright external people might bring a healthy dose of realism and a good commercial approach to a department .... oh ... ah ... sorry there's the fatal flaw !

Who cares...?

It's very obvious the whole farrago is completely out of control.

Time to show some fucking LEADERSHIP Mr Bell!

Dream on...

He's too busy in Carrefour gym to bother about such trivial matters as as £100m budget deficit.

What a bizarre statement

Compared to 2008 every single salary level has seen an expansion in numbers:

.............................2015/2008

300,000-324,999 1/0

250,000-299,999 2/0

225,000-249,999 4/0

200,000-224,999 14/1

175,000-199,999 22/8

150,000-174,999 18/13

125,000-149,999 25/16

100,000-124,999 40/28

75,000-99,999 120/53

50,000-74,999 577/413

291 more people earning over £50K per year.

Assuming people earn the mid point in the salary bands the salary of the highest paid public servant has risen from £212,500 to £312,500 - a 47% increase.

Obviously there is wage inflation ... but it doesn't signal a decrease in bloat does it!

Outrageous. I'm so glad we've been shrinking the government headcount. God help us if we'd just let it carry on growing.

The 'chief officer group' has certainly looked after itself.

Lots of money sitting round this table.

https://www.gov.im/media/1348835/chief-officer-group-minutes-july-2015.pdf

Come on, those people do worthwhile work! Didn't you see it says Nobles A&E now has an LCD screen instead of a whiteboard? That's exactly the type of critical issues a Director of Government Technology Services should be looking after! Money well spent.

I bet his payslip has IOM Government written all over it. Unless IOMG is running an off balance sheet set of books....nothing would surprise me.

He has gone/is going now.

He and the second highest-paid public sector employee have been replaced with one person

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/new-boss-of-financial-regulator-to-come-to-island-from-canada-1-7394430

Can anyone suppose how the Govt might have spent a million on RECRUITMENT in years when the head count is supposed to be dropping?Adverts don't cost THAT much and many adverts seem to involve applying to Government directly, so no finders fee of 10% of salary paid to a recruitment agency in many cases.

Agency fees would be around 15-20% so that's about £5m of salaried positions recruited for in one year; in an organisation where headcount is supposed to be dropping. I would also guess that most of that is spent with off Island agencies to attract 'talent' into the IOM public sector rather than with local agencies and adverts.

That's right. There are loads of positions being paid for via agencies. One agency in particular seems to be very "well in". It keeps the numbers of employees falling if they don't officially replace people. They take a temp on for a year, then the temps get kicked out for fear they will become entitled to establishment rights like those in the club. The temp then gets replaced by another temp and so on.

So....given Shimmin's original statement vs the figures provided on this thread by those diligent enough to do some digging;

a) Is Shimmin misinformed by those who provided him with the figures to make his statement - or

b) Is this a deliberate attempt to mislead the public, or at best, a bit of spin?

The latter, I suspect - a bit of spin to deliver the CoMin position to unthinking Manx plebs

Archived