We are Saved - The Airport Gateway To The Rescue!

Manx Bean

To me it is quite clear that Skelly has lost any credibility that he ever had - which in itself was questionable at the best of times - and rather than having the spine to call it a day and stand down as Minister, he is continuing to perplex his new Chief Executive (he seems a decent chap) and the Cabinet Office media Officer by insisting that they still stand shoulder to shoulder with him and keep pumping out this feeble propaganda. 

My source within DED tells me that he is generally seen by the people that work for him as not only an idiot, but an embarrassing idiot. 

But, as is the way in politics - especially Manx politics where he will lose his uplift in salary if he steps down gracefully - he will try and tough it out and hold on. It is of course short-sighted. If maybe he stood up, confessed and apologised and showed remorse for his legendary goofs, then he could possibly stand a small chance of staying on the Gravy Train next time...let's face it, that is what the majority of our politicians really care about, don't they?

To me there are only two types of Manx Politician - those who wouldn't be able to earn a decent living doing anything else and have substantially increased their income by being elected, and those who are wealthy enough not to worry money and just love massaging their own egos with the authority.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on, give the DED guys a break. If you ignore the lack of need, demand and labour, this scheme is genius. 

What airport gateways all have in common is:

Proximity to an airport. Well ours can land the biggest planes in the world, has a market-leading navigation system and already caters for the executive jet market.

Next, road links: well duh, a duel carriageway right next door. And the really exciting bit: 

Proximity to the rail network. Just imagine the business case already being formed by longworth. A world-class goods spur shipping out 3 sea containers an hour, and like all the best trainsets, a passing-loop commuter station for the 800 (200 will take advantage of the cycle to work initiative) daily commuters. What's not to like :lol:

This has gold all over it, if you envision it right.

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

Come on, give the DED guys a break. If you ignore the lack of need, demand and labour, this scheme is genius. 

What airport gateways all have in common is:

Proximity to an airport. Well ours can land the biggest planes in the world, has a market-leading navigation system and already caters for the executive jet market.

Next, road links: well duh, a duel carriageway right next door. And the really exciting bit: 

Proximity to the rail network. Just imagine the business case already being formed by longworth. A world-class goods spur shipping out 3 sea containers an hour, and like all the best trainsets, a passing-loop commuter station for the 800 (200 will take advantage of the cycle to work initiative) daily commuters. What's not to like :lol:

This has gold all over it, if you envision it right.

Definitely gold ............... Comedy Gold more like. Except with the DED spending to promote these feeble ideas, they will spend the equivalent amount to investing in gold. Money frittered away I’m afraid, no jobs, no businesses and no hope.

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Definitely gold ............... Comedy Gold more like. Except with the DED spending to promote these feeble ideas, they will spend the equivalent amount to investing in gold. Money frittered away I’m afraid, no jobs, no businesses and no hope.

on a positive note: nice pensions for DED boys and girls.

Unless I am very much mistaken, I thought the Freeport/Airport/Ronaldsway/Castletown, the South had loads of businesses down there. Diamond Factories, Engineering, Biotech, Cleantech, ETech, Ebaygum etc. It seems to me that Skelly's statement is a parting shot before DED is wound up and re-established under another name, with the same management in place. The statement designed to generate headlines, but deliver little. A bit like the 6 Banks setting up here, and all the Chinese investment stemming from the IOM delegations to China. Besides the island couldn't sustain 1000 new jobs as there aren't enough skilled workers, and it would require an influx of new residents. However, why come to the IOM when its expensive to live here and there is very little choice - take it or leave mentality.

An MHK sat in my lounge and told me his aspiration was to attract manufacturing to the island. He didn't seem to grasp simple economics, (thats all I do, simple economics before you say it lol !) the freight in and out was astronomically expensive, energy costs were huge and relocation costs for staff were equally challenging ! 

Until we can address all of these issues, no matter how much wonga DED throw at someone, it will be obvious to them that whatever they do is a non starter here !

Why does the government feel it has to have its finger in every pie? They should let private enterprise fund and develop this entirely on its economic merit, especially since most government projects are poorly conceived and take far longer than necessary to be implemented. Look at the time it required to set up the 'ICT' school; I thought the intention was for the Nunnery to be bought by the Manx Educational Foundation but was instead acquired by a private enterprise.

The island should not be wasting vast sums on vanity projects like the dedicated IT school or technology parks; instead, they should focus on providing grants to renovate and repurpose office space as they have successfully done in Shoreditch to build a vibrant community or assist in expanding existing business parks with infrastructure already in place.

In the IT world, things move quickly, and so far those involved in the islands IT community have done an excellent job at missing the next wave of innovation.

1 hour ago, asitis said:

An MHK sat in my lounge and told me his aspiration was to attract manufacturing to the island. He didn't seem to grasp simple economics, (thats all I do, simple economics before you say it lol !) the freight in and out was astronomically expensive, energy costs were huge and relocation costs for staff were equally challenging ! 

Until we can address all of these issues, no matter how much wonga DED throw at someone, it will be obvious to them that whatever they do is a non starter here !

Exactly. What is it that Skelly & DED see in this "project" that others in the private sector have missed?

The man's a fruit cake!

Archived