Newson's on the Quay

Ramseyboi

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/developer-offers-newsons-building-to-government-free-of-charge/

Is the reason that they won't accept the offer,  because the plan that was rejected is in fact what is required?

They won’t accept because it’s not appropriate as explained, I don’t agree with planning decision but as CB says it’s a listed building and can’t just be demolished because developers want to. I expect only way around it is for COMIN to say development is in national interest but I don’t think that’s the case here.

there has to be a compromise somewhere , it would be better to get the developer and the planners around the table  and come up with  a scheme that is acceptable  otherwise its going to hold up the development  of the whole of the North quay right up to Quine's corner up for years ,and the  acrimony will just put any potential  investors in the island off  

someone has to start to dig this problem out of the hole !

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Omobono said:

there has to be a compromise somewhere , it would be better to get the developer and the planners around the table  and come up with  a scheme that is acceptable  otherwise its going to hold up the development  of the whole of the North quay right up to Quine's corner up for years ,and the  acrimony will just put any potential  investors in the island off  

According to MR the reason it was refused was because it involved demolition of a listed building.  Not sure how you get round that other than incorporating the existing into the development.  Quite how the designers thought they could get over that particular hurdle is perhaps they key point. 

39 minutes ago, Omobono said:

In a normal world this would be a good idea, sadly, we don’t live in a normal world, let alone dealing with normal people, who can think outside the box. Creative solutions. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gladys said:

According to MR the reason it was refused was because it involved demolition of a listed building.  Not sure how you get round that other than incorporating the existing into the development.  Quite how the designers thought they could get over that particular hurdle is perhaps they key point. 

what has happened in the past though ( not sure if the newsons building falls in to this )  is that non listed buildings that developers apply for planning permission for then suddenly become listed just because some one wants to stop the developer from changing something. 

edit;  so the building became protected in 2018 , so for over 230 years it wasn't deemed worthy of protection , a developer gets involved and magically it is the most important thing ever and has to be kept.

did they need planning permission for the large struts they have put up that look they they support the building ?

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

Isnt it usual on the rock for the developers to just agree to the keeping of the external structure a building then strip out the insides as part of the development. Usually at this point it accidently falls down and I make a quick couple of grand. 

I suggest it now be rebranded the Newsance site on North Quay.

If its so great as it is that it needs toi be preserved for the nation, why don't MNH take it on (after all it's literallty being given away) and stick the Peggy in it? Or the MDC, surely it'd be right up thier 15 min village street?

The fact a developer is willing to walk away tells me that they understand the sunk costs fallacy and are willing to take the loss and walk away.

If government did accept it, considering how long Summerland, Lord Street, the Horse Tram stables etc. have been festering it'd just become one more in a long list of forever projects.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

They won’t accept because it’s not appropriate as explained, I don’t agree with planning decision but as CB says it’s a listed building and can’t just be demolished because developers want to. I expect only way around it is for COMIN to say development is in national interest but I don’t think that’s the case here.

When did it become listed?  I feel this is a key part of this whole disaster 

So how do you get a building de registered there must be a way surely.    Perhaps a safety issue ?   and why was this particular building registered in the first place it has been going downhill appearance wise for years.    There is no thing as can’t be done if the will is there there is always a way around it.