Kopek

I am no fan of HQ although I think he and the govt. did a decent job of a horrid situation when Covid struck it was an unknown quantity and hindsight is a wonderful thing.   However I think this witch hunt is unnessary and out of order and wonder if the people who are squeaking the loudest would not have claimed if they had been in the same position.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I am no fan of HQ although I think he and the govt. did a decent job of a horrid situation when Covid struck it was an unknown quantity and hindsight is a wonderful thing.   However I think this witch hunt is unnessary and out of order and wonder if the people who are squeaking the loudest would not have claimed if they had been in the same position.

To be honest in the public interest let's have full disclosure of all grants that were paid out to any individual or company. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Witch hunts and hypocrisy are standard on good ole Isle of Man. He was entitled to apply and the business most likely ticked all the right boxes. Unfortunately HQ never had any empathy with the public or could judge the public mood. He is being judged in the court of public opinion. 

If in hindsight, this scenario was being repeated, do you set a rule whereby multi millionaire Chief Ministers or any other wealthy individuals with businesses aren’t entitled, due to their savings? They may be asset rich and cash poor. HQ should have used his ‘intelligence’ and ‘common sense’ and took any losses on the chin or a haircut. Others have. 

As has become evident in the UK is widespread fraud to non existent businesses receiving bounce back loans - they received money within days, as Government didn’t want to be hammered with claims that they were heartless, uncaring and leaving ‘businesses’ with little cashflow in order to pay bills etc.  Some of those in receipt of Covid loans had no intentions to repay, and the HMRC are trying to recover these debts.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Which others have ?    I would bet everyone who was eligible claimed.

Quite a lot of businesses and sole traders tried applying for funding or financial assistance. Some completed the forms, some gave up. Some received assistance whilst others got rejected. Some decided not to apply. I’m not criticising it’s freedom of choice, maybe some businesses could ride out the storm, it’s their decision. There have been many MFers on here and it’s well documented that they have had unfavourable experiences trying to claim financial assistance. Some haven’t received any financial assistance as they owed tax to the Treasury or were behind with NI contributions. This in turn will affect sole traders and individuals as many are made to pay income tax on account in advance. 

2 minutes ago, Driver2020 said:

Bet the brewery done alright out of it.

They may have claimed financial assistance. Maybe their shareholders should have taken a haircut, like everyone else. If this pandemic occurs again, financial assistance should perhaps be limited, and more businesses should have to use their reserves, rather than use the taxpayers.