Alf Cannan's I Have A Dream

Dirty Buggane

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-brands-public-sector-overpayments-breathtakingly-incompetent/

"Mr Wannenburgh said the errors were 'at best negligence, at worst a dereliction of duty'"

"Ms Lord-Brennan, whose department has responsibility for the Office of Human Resources, says such errors need to be fixed as soon as possible by those responsible:"

Lord-Brennan: "It is not my job as cabinet office minister".

I suppose there is a description of what her responsibilities are.

46 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-brands-public-sector-overpayments-breathtakingly-incompetent/

"Mr Wannenburgh said the errors were 'at best negligence, at worst a dereliction of duty'"

"Ms Lord-Brennan, whose department has responsibility for the Office of Human Resources, says such errors need to be fixed as soon as possible by those responsible:"

I suppose there is a description of what her responsibilities are.

Of course the interesting thing about that article is that it reveals that:

Between January 2022 and December last year, just over £470,000 in overpayments were made - the same period saw £1.1m in underpayments.

So if anything the Government is in profit.  But of course there's no context - whether there was more in Keys we'll find out later.  What percentage of payments (both in number and total) does this represent?  Are there systematic errors here and where does responsibility lie (it could be incorrect information coming from Departments)?  Is this level of errors normal by historic standards or do these two year represent things getting worse?

That said, it may be part of a pattern we see across a range of government services in the last few years.  As the number of civil servants increase, many of the services provided by them to the public become worse.  Presumably this is because rather than recruit and train more people to actually do the work, they prefer to employ more managers and their hangers-on whose 'leadership' will somehow transform the situation.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:
1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

If my time in the DHSS as was is anything to go by then the errors will reduce now. Not because the errors aren't still being made but that people will be told to stop finding them.

If this is true , and can we’ll believe it is , says it all about what many of us suspect . 
Needs looked at very closely and fully and a public report done……Quickly !!  

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

If this is true , and can we’ll believe it is , says it all about what many of us suspect . 

It is true, late nineties and I along with a couple of others were new in role and started discovering benefit overpayments due to miscalculations by people who had moved on.

After a couple of amounts being written off (in the tens of thousands) we were all taken into a meeting room and told in no uncertain terms the mistakes needed to stop.

When I pointed out the people in the room were finding rather than making the mistakes the SEO just repeated himself and that was that. No more errors reported 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Perhaps she'd like to go away and then shortly revert with precisely whose job it is then....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Hopefully the new "opposition" triumvirate of Edge, Thomas and Christian would like to keep this on the boil...?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Why? Government is currently making a profit.

37 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Why? Government is currently making a profit.

So apart from obvious errors in your statement why should they not make more then. Or maybe you’d advocate 500,000 given out regularly on a whim with zero cross checks or justification 

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

So apart from obvious errors in your statement why should they not make more then. Or maybe you’d advocate 500,000 given out regularly on a whim with zero cross checks or justification 

They can add on the outstanding £78k overpayment in pensions too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Turns out even if another 15,000 people wanted to move here, we couldn't even process their visa applications anyway.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/number-of-visa-applications-increases-five-times-in-six-years/

Interesting to see the uptick in applications though.  I'm guessing they are mostly Asian gaming employees.

Edited by The Phantom

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Turns out even if another 15,000 people wanted to move here, we couldn't even process their visa applications anyway.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/number-of-visa-applications-increases-five-times-in-six-years/

Interesting to see the uptick in applications though.  I'm guessing they are mostly Asian gaming employees.

Was it around 400 Chinese...quite a few from Ghana, Nigeria and Kenyan.  Perhaps we are recruiting for our island games marathon team?