News embargoes?

finlo

49 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Report says the GSC is 'aware of an investigation' to me this seems like it might not be a local investigation, as surely they would instigate it?  Possibly an investigation by some other agency elsewhere.

Well the press release might just be referring to the so-far unreported raids/arrests that happened yesterday.  And of course competent authorities would want to act to secure evidence before letting the companies being investigated know that action was being taken.  But as I said last night I can't see this happening without UK approval and possibly support.  Not least because in the these sort of cases more than one jurisdiction will have to be involved and even if the other jurisdictions don't include the UK, any international cooperation will have to be via them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wake Up Call said:

Gambling isn't a reliable/safe industry to build your economy on. Who'd a thunk it?

This investigation isn't anything to do with gambling. The allegations are very serious though.

1 hour ago, cheesypeas said:

This investigation isn't anything to do with gambling. The allegations are very serious though.

I'm assuming Alf's 15,000 new residents have to be legal immigrants? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw on Twitter many months ago about a Chinese gaming company in Athol St having issues because people had lied about university degrees on immigration applications.

We attract filthy industry and it is bound to have a number of bad apples.

But nobody knows what's going on here so speculation probably not helpful.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

if the other jurisdictions don't include the UK, any international cooperation will have to be via them.

Not necessarily. Things are normally done via what is known as an International Letter of Request. This is done prosecutor to prosecutor and HMAG would then issue the appropriate instructions for forcible evidence gathering. You get a feel for the process in the Rivkin judgements https://www.judgments.im/content/J1036.htm

Edited by piebaps
pewer smelling
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I saw on Twitter many months ago about a Chinese gaming company in Athol St having issues because people had lied about university degrees on immigration applications.

I know exactly what's going on, and it would not help anyone bringing it into the public domain just now, whilst investigations are ongoing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The regime in China is filthy.  On par with that of Russia, North Korea and Iran.  The modern Axis of Evil. 

I'm suprised the IOM hasn't inadvertently become part of their belt and road initiative.  They prey upon desperate and dumb politicians. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

I know exactly what's going on, and it would not help anyone bringing it into the public domain just now, whilst investigations are ongoing.

It is either sub judice or it is not.

You know what is going on, and the world continues to rotate. If a few more people know also, I doubt things would be much different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It is either sub judice or it is not.

You know what is going on, and the world continues to rotate. If a few more people know also, I doubt things would be much different.

I think the only people who don’t seem to have known was DFE. Fairly common knowledge. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The regime in China is filthy.  On par with that of Russia, North Korea and Iran.  The modern Axis of Evil. 

I'm suprised the IOM hasn't inadvertently become part of their belt and road initiative.  They prey upon desperate and dumb politicians. 

We provide a warm welcome for our Chinese friends.. ..https://www.locate.im/china/downloads

• Haha 1