Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

He's an arrogant tit. 

He's right that some people don't understand the concept of arms length. Politicians would have you believe it's done for good reason, when in fact it provides the worst of both worlds. 

How?

7 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

He's an arrogant tit. 

He's right that some people don't understand the concept of arms length. Politicians would have you believe it's done for good reason, when in fact it provides the worst of both worlds. 

Arms length to me seems an ideal excuse for our lame politicos to say "not me guv, it were them "

It is probably not a bad idea but it does give our shower the perfect get out when all goes to hell !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Arms length to me seems an ideal excuse for our lame politicos to say "not me guv, it were them "

It is probably not a bad idea but it does give our shower the perfect get out when all goes to hell !

Well it’s either arms length where politicians are supposed to leave the running of the company to the professionals and the steam packet board are experienced professionals no matter what the Facebook idiots think or it’s a government run body with constant political interference like MUA, Post Office, airport etc.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well it’s either arms length where politicians are supposed to leave the running of the company to the professionals (and the steam packet board are experienced professionals no matter what the Facebook idiots think) or it’s a government run body with constant political interference like MUA, Post Office, airport etc.

Well, yes - in theory, that’s how it’s supposed to work.   But the politicians can’t stop interfering and meddling!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Banker said:

the steam packet board are experienced professionals

That is just saying: "Trust them, they are experienced professionals".

Mike Proffit is an experienced professional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Well, yes - in theory, that’s how it’s supposed to work.   But the politicians can’t stop interfering and meddling!

Makes you wonder if those MHKs who hold ministerial or departmental positions and questioning the management of IOMSPCo if they do the same for their own government departments?! If they did then I think they'd soon be told to FO by their CS colleagues.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Banker said:

Well it’s either arms length where politicians are supposed to leave the running of the company to the professionals and the steam packet board are experienced professionals no matter what the Facebook idiots think or it’s a government run body with constant political interference like MUA, Post Office, airport etc.

Not a lot to choose between any of them TBH.

As long as we're bankrolling the racket it should not be arm's length. It's the worst of both worlds - we have to pay for it but have no democratic control over it whatsoever.

27 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not a lot to choose between any of them TBH.

As long as we're bankrolling the racket it should not be arm's length. It's the worst of both worlds - we have to pay for it but have no democratic control over it whatsoever.

We, or Treasury,  do as shareholder.

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

We, or Treasury,  do as shareholder.

We, the Treasury, the MHKs, I, have no control unless we know what is going on.

Ugland threw a wobbler because he was asked 6 questions. He refused to answer questions from the shareholder because they were not in the interests of the shareholder.

Well, that's my interpretation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Banker said:

If there are major issues with the Manxman, the Ben or Mannanan, which could be attributed to the actions of SPCo management, or directors, will they be responsible? 

Interfering is one thing.

Asking questions in the name of transparency for those doing the bankrolling is something else.

And not interference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2