More Jollies

A fool and his money.....

16 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Would you expect the execs from the HQ to occasionally visit the subsidiary to check what is going on?

As noted above, they do.

4 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Stu, I'm sure you won't care, but I had hoped you would do better than others that have gone before. But now it seems you're a paid up, card carrying member of Club Tynwald.

Like I said, I'd much rather stay at home and sleep in my own bed, so going to that there London holds zero appeal for me, but if I can network a bit and influence a couple of MPs who think we're near Southampton, it will have been worth the trip.

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Except the UK is not our parent. 

Like I said Gladys, a stretched analogy. But since the UK is responsible for our 'good governance', defence, international relations and a good chunk of our income is predicated on the common purse agreement, I don't think it's an unreasonable one.

• Like 7

Alf and his cronies touting 'The Island Plan' to a group of proper politicians would be worth seeing.

What are the objectives of the trip and how is success judged?  Historically these have been a disaster for the island, and i hate to say it...but we are not exactly sending world beating intellectuals.

I think we are responsible for our own good governance, otherwise it ain't good governance. The UK may come and kick a few arses, accepted.

Do we still have a common purse agreement? Pretty sure that went 40 or more years ago. 

The point is, if we are going with an almost feudal obligation, we aren't as "independent" as we like to think, and perhaps we should just recognise that and get on with making the best of the reality rather than pretending otherwise. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

As noted above, they do.

Like I said, I'd much rather stay at home and sleep in my own bed, so going to that there London holds zero appeal for me, but if I can network a bit and influence a couple of MPs who think we're near Southampton, it will have been worth the trip.

Like I said Gladys, a stretched analogy. But since the UK is responsible for our 'good governance', defence, international relations and a good chunk of our income is predicated on the common purse agreement, I don't think it's an unreasonable one.

C'mon Stu. You might have been influencing over Crogga, but influencing MPs?

The UK may well be strategically important, so send the big bods, not the kids on a school trip.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I think we are responsible for our own good governance, otherwise it ain't good governance. The UK may come and kick a few arses, accepted.

Do we still have a common purse agreement? Pretty sure that went 40 or more years ago. 

The point is, if we are going with an almost feudal obligation, we aren't as "independent" as we like to think, and perhaps we should just recognise that and get on with making the best of the reality rather than pretending otherwise. 

"Parent" was a reasonable analogy for the senior counterparty in a relationship with a "dependency", and they are indeed known to have kicked a few arses over the years like a traditional parent will. The revenue divvy up might have a different name nowadays but that's just picking over semantics. Maybe we are as independent as we think, but how independent do we think we are? I've never been under any illusions. We've made it work for us though, one way and another.

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

and I think is far more valuable than some of these past CPA trips to far-flung places seemed to be

With that "internal" assessment of CPA trips thus publicised, can we expect them to stop anytime soon then?

Or is the competition to exceed Rodan's Airmiles haul still ongoing?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

With that "internal" assessment of CPA trips thus publicised, can we expect them to stop anytime soon then?

Or is the competition to exceed Rodan's Airmiles haul still ongoing?

This.

And didn`t someone (and no doubt with a sitable entourage)  go swanning off to Rwanda recently.

Rwanda???

10 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

As noted above, they do.

A reserved OK to your last point, but ten of you?

In respect of saving money here's one ...

The FSA has I think 83 employees, looking at the wage bill the average over that figure is 68K. A very few are on the biggest money how much are we paying for the staff of this place. Maybe Spuan could direct the new incumbent to look at this edifice for his 1.2 million savings.

The CSP industry is the biggest single tax contributor to the islands coffers, but we seem hell bent on gold plating every regulation to put them out of business.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Isn't there a similar number on the Attorney General's staff (I think Roger dug that up) yet they still didn't have a clue what they were doing or why they were there at the Ranson appeal.

Except the lawyer representing DHSC at the Ransom appeal, and indeed since the original interim decision was handed down, isn’t AG but private practice.

20 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Isn't there a similar number on the Attorney General's staff (I think Roger dug that up) yet they still didn't have a clue what they were doing or why they were there at the Ranson appeal.

I think there are 77 working in the AG's office  currently  , its now the largest legal practice in the Isle of Man !  all I can say its a growth industry ,

• Like 3