2 years in..have your MHKs delivered?

Manx Bean

On an all Island stage I would say my biggest disappointment is Cannan I really thought he would be much better, I agree with Banker about the Garff fellow possibly the worst in the pack.   Clare Christian started out Ok but now another passenger, Thomas is a bumbling excuse of a man but he has form for this so not surprised.   Moorehouse is just an aggravation he would be a good Commissioner dealing with parish pump affairs.    Sympathy has to go to Cannan trying to get a decent team with what he has to work with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

In my own defence many people suggested that my (early) manifesto statement about not taking a departmental position was flawed thinking and that they expected their MHK to get stuck in to sorting problems rather than just shouting about them. I took that on board and changed my position to not accepting a departmental role for at least a year - which is exactly what I did when volunteering for DOI last year. Remember, there's no pay uplift now for being a political member of a department so I didn't do it for the money (one of the reasons voters think MHKs accept these gigs) and could have had a much quieter life as a backbencher.

There is a massive difference between being an idealistic candidate and being a pragmatic politician. And that's not admitting I've gone native or been assimilated by the Borg. Most people outside don't understand (or choose not to understand) the nuances and unintended consequences of every issue, but I decided I had a better chance of influencing matters from within rather than without.

They all get 'captured' eventually.

And if they do raise an issue MHKs will be put on the committee to keep them busy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Moorehouse has done exactly what was expected.

Glover has been worse, much worse, and I already expected him to be bad.

I thought Glover was a bit better than I expected, though very intermittently.  But then I expected him to be truly dreadful, a completely embarrassing suck-up, so we may not be differing much in our assessment.

Moorhouse is Moorhouse and I'm the only person who remembers he doesn't have a middle 'e' in his name.

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I thought Glover was a bit better than I expected, though very intermittently.  But then I expected him to be truly dreadful, a completely embarrassing suck-up, so we may not be differing much in our assessment.

Moorhouse is Moorhouse and I'm the only person who remembers he doesn't have a middle 'e' in his name.

Missing an e, a poor state of affairs.

Glover is a weird one, he is only representing a very small section of his constituency, principally his wifes friends.

• Like 2

I think pretty much all of them said they wanted to tackle the housing crisis - ie young people from the island not able to afford to live here.

As far as I can see the only action on it so far is the old nurses' home, which, by the time it is finished will have been cancelled out several times by people they have paid long thousands to live here.

Now before Stu Peters replys, I do get that a single voice cannot achieve much unless they can persuade enough members of their cause. But this problem as I remember was pretty much universally cited as a priority with election candidates - yet as far as I can tell, all they've done is conspire to make the problem worse.

Paying new residents thousands to come and live here, in some cases even paying their rent or mortgage for a while when they do is only going to distort the housing market even further and make it harder for young residents to stay.

Meanwhile funding for adult training opportunities lags far behind most other countries, with no apparent desire within government to change it. It seems their exclusive solution to any skills shortage is to throw money at importing them rather than realistically funding any training here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think pretty much all of them said they wanted to tackle the housing crisis - ie young people from the island not able to afford to live here.

As far as I can see the only action on it so far is the old nurses' home, which, by the time it is finished will have been cancelled out several times by people they have paid long thousands to live here.

Now before Stu Peters replys, I do get that a single voice cannot achieve much unless they can persuade enough members of their cause. But this problem as I remember was pretty much universally cited as a priority with election candidates - yet as far as I can tell, all they've done is conspire to make the problem worse.

Paying new residents thousands to come and live here, in some cases even paying their rent or mortgage for a while when they do is only going to distort the housing market even further and make it harder for young residents to stay.

Meanwhile funding for adult training opportunities lags far behind most other countries, with no apparent desire within government to change it. It seems their exclusive solution to any skills shortage is to throw money at importing them rather than realistically funding any training here.

They need to get a move on if they want to achieve all or any of this by the time of the next election.

https://islandplan.im/priorities/building-great-communities/

16 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Depends what. The new residents bring, we need skilled people so need to attract them with incentives, the unskilled workers eg hospitality don’t get the incentives.

the existing residents also get access to first t8me buyers schemes etc but no doubt more FTB and social housing required 

17 minutes ago, Banker said:

Depends what. The new residents bring, we need skilled people so need to attract them with incentives, the unskilled workers eg hospitality don’t get the incentives.

the existing residents also get access to first t8me buyers schemes etc but no doubt more FTB and social housing required 

All the above, plus to attract new people we need better frontline services, if we are honest the Health Service is still a shambles with cracks being papered over, education is struggling, new schools are needed. We cannot continue to build housing estates with no provision for the residents who are going to occupy them.

I came here 30 years ago to a decent job, a decent job for my wife, property we could afford to buy and our children were well educated. (It has paid off for Government both children live and work here and pay buckets of tax and have families of their own).

Would I make the same decision now to relocate given the downward spiral we have been in .... not a hope in hell !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Pretty sure the £4k NI rebate is for anyone. Something in the back of my mind you need to earn £20 odd K, but otherwise no restrictions 

38 minutes ago, Holte End said:

The worst MHK is  the one having coughing fits during questions, I first thought it was @Stu Peters due to his vaping, but it doesn't sound like the death stick cough. I thought the days of coughing because the old boys club didn't like the being questioned, were over. 

You’ve not seen “ Millionaire” on the telly then?

• Haha 1