The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

Latest films are "Gone Baby Gone" and "Kids."

Gone Baby Gone is based on a book by the same dude who did "Mystic River," so you know upfront it's not exactly going to be a cheerful little number. Surprise of the day is that it's directed by Ben Affleck (of "I shagged Jennifer Lopez and am a bit of a vapid cunt" fame) - and it's a remarkably mature and accomplished film. (So he might be pretty cool after all.)

There are times when the brutality of the core subject matter just becomes a bit too much to bear without springing out a few tears, and there are no wasted shots or overlong pondering on meaningless bollocks, so it really is the best part of two hours of emotional assault, and it doesn't even deliver a "happy" payback at the end, although it does at least offer the possibility of a way forward.

Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris are as brilliant as usual (Ed Harris in particular seems to tap into something new and powerful), but the rest of the cast are bang on the money as well. It's a compelling tale, brilliantly told, and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone who doesn't think films have to have a traditionally happy ending.

All the loose ends are tied up at the end of the film, and you're forced to ask yourself, "Did he make the right choice?" Me and Mrs Infusion thought he fucked up, but that's up to you to decide.

KIDS report that follows contains spoilers!

Kids is the like of which you've never seen before (unless you've seen Kids before, of course), originally released in 1995 I vaguely recall the fuss surrounding it, but of couse it was pre-internet and the ability to self-research such things, so it just dropped off my radar.

However, the name of the film stood out to me on a usenet search, so I decided to grab it. (This isn't an easy to film get hold of, it was effectively banned in the USA when the MPAA demanded an NC-17 certificate and Miramax basically said "Well fuck you then we'll just release it as unrated" - which is all very well and good, but means it's a film that, give or take, was never properly released anywhere in the world.)

It's so "documentary style" it's mostly not upsetting, because even though what's being played out on screen (most notably the dialogue) is so extreme, it's strangely real, so much so that emotional attachment with the characters doesn't come easy.

That said, by the time the closing scenes come around, it's impossible not to feel a deep unease and empathy with the brutal tragedy that's being played out, so much so that when a recently diagnosed semi-comatose HIV positive teenager is raped at a party, you actually fucking understand why she doesn't see fit to fight back, because she knows she's already dead, or maybe because she's learned not to.

The most powerful aspect of this film is that it doesn't judge, the final monologue from its main character is unrepentant and unchallenged, "I like fucking" - he says it without remorse and without consideration of the damage he might cause, and of course without the knowledge that he's already dying himself from the inside out of AIDS.

Kids is not a cheery little number, but it's massively powerful, and I recommend it most highly.

If anyone wants to watch it but can't find anywhere to get it from, drop me a PM.

I'm sure this must have been mentioned before but just saw 'Kung Fu Hustle' over Christmas and I was blown away! What a fantastic movie. And this is coming from someone who's not a fan of kung fu (had it rammed down my throat for several years whilst dating a kung fu fanatic, thus basically ruining any enjoyment I might ever again get out of any martial arts movie)

Hilarious, great fight scenes and rather touching --- a big surprise

The Departed

Matt Damon, Jac Nicholson. Directed by Martin Scorsese

Very good film!

Oh god, I forgot about this one. I caught it a few weeks ago and was more than pleasantly surprised. Definitely not my normal fare, but one hell of a good film.

I caught Sweeny Todd, The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (definitely better than I thought) and Cloverfield, the latter being one of the best I have seen in a very long time - although I may be biased as I got myself caught up in the ARG for far too long!

Would recommend the first for a general all round good film, but Cloverfield if you fancy something to get your teeth into.

Cloverfield, the latter being one of the best I have seen in a very long time - although I may be biased as I got myself caught up in the ARG for far too long!

Would recommend the first for a general all round good film, but Cloverfield if you fancy something to get your teeth into.

See it on the big screen if you get the chance. Well worth it.

Edited by Hudu

Some countries released it yesterday. There's a really shitty cam floating around, non scene. Also a mislabelled MVS R5, which is just the same shit cam. I can't imagine anything worse than watching a movie that was filmed on a hand held camera and then refilmed on another hand held camera and then compressed.

Monster movies should be saved for monster screens!

• 2 weeks later...

Monster movies should be saved for monster screens!

You got that right ans! Perhaps thats where whats-his-face came up with the idea, been d'l'ing too many cams/telesyncs! Not seen it personally so can't comment on the movie itself.

What I did see again recently was Cronos (just the other night actually, can't remember what channel it was on), and I was more taken in with it this time than when I first seen it. Cracking film, and Ron Pearlman is ace as the put upon nephew/henchman! It wierd as I had just been pondering buying it a couple of days previously.

Edited by alph3