£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

woolley, on 21 Feb 2014 - 11:42, said:

The stonking deals of lump sums and pensions they are walking away with are another issue entirely but one that restricts the savings we are making.

One man's "stonking deals of lumps sums and pensions" is another man's legally binding contract. Rightly or wrongly, these are legally binding promises we (via the Government) have made with these people. Alf Cannan has already made changes to alter the terms of any new contracts and that is a positive step. Undoing what has already been done is however much more difficult.
  • Like 2

The stonking deals of lump sums and pensions they are walking away with are another issue entirely but one that restricts the savings we are making.

One man's "stonking deals of lumps sums and pensions" is another man's legally binding contract. Rightly or wrongly, these are legally binding promises we (via the Government) have made with these people. Alf Cannan has already made changes to alter the terms of any new contracts and that is a positive step. Undoing what has already been done is however much more difficult.

serious question , how did they alter the T&c's of the bus drivers or cut salaries in Ireland or Have I missed something?

• Like 1

serious question , how did they alter the T&c's of the bus drivers or cut salaries in Ireland or Have I missed something?

What he said.

What Tynwald granted Tynwald can take away. Times have changed and all of that. Or can we trash the contracts of those that don't really matter but not the contracts of really important people?

And if we are talking about legally binding agreements and the matter has to be tested in court, I would imagine that who agreed what with whom would all have to be examined to ensure that there were no conflicts of interest involved at the time such agreements were drawn up. In other words, if these various agreements were drawn up say, 30 years ago between trade unions representing public sector staff on the one side and public sector staff representing er, the taxpayer on the other side, in the way of human nature, might those agreements be just the tiniest bit suspect in their generosity?

I wonder how much money would be raised if we implemented a couple of laws that are already there for the enforcing?

How much is the standard fine for using a mobile 'phone whilst driving?

And how many people are fined each year?

And what is the total money raised each year?

How much is the average fine for owners not clearing up after their dogs?

And how many people are fined each year?

And what is the total money raised each year?

• Like 2

Excellent post.

Say £500 fine for allowing dog excrement in a public place. That's 10 people's tax right away. Up our road I reckon 100 people's tax could easily be covered.

Enforcing the existing laws would soon put a stop to these dirty, filthy, disgusting, selfish people.

But I would gladly pay £50 a year if it meant our streets and pavements were clear of dog shite.

• Like 1