IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I'd agree with that, but something probably did need to be said about 'malicious coughing', if only to pre-empt any complaints if it does start up. 

Not sure that he's ensured that it's going to be the ongoing joke though, unless those students who would do that are surprisingly keen on following government statements.

I would have thought that the first rule of discipline is not to suggest ways in which the kids can misbehave.  And memes can originate in all sort of unexpected places.  

Teachers should be well equipped to deal with kids showing stupid behaviour without ministerial advice.  And if all else fails there's always: "Well with that terrible cough Johnny you can't possibly play football".

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

I would have thought that the first rule of discipline is not to suggest ways in which the kids can misbehave.  And memes can originate in all sort of unexpected places.  

Teachers should be well equipped to deal with kids showing stupid behaviour without ministerial advice.  And if all else fails there's always: "Well with that terrible cough Johnny you can't possibly play football".

We must have gone to very different schools ;) My recollection is that Johnny would have gladly seized the opportunity to bunk off games and have a fag with his mates.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Southfork said:

To be honest I’d love to see how the first case of malicious coughing by a 15 year old student would be pursued through the courts. Probably just like the lockdown convictions for dog walking to be honest. It’s a load of old shite. 

I’ll bet that if your example happened in real life, it would provoke the usual shit storm on IOMNP Facebook site. I could also foresee a political storm, backed by the newspapers. 

12 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I don't think the intention is to pursue it through the courts.  The story and the clip both state that it would be dealt with by disciplinary measures in the schools.

The tone is a bit high-handed, but all that's really being said is that the DESC will support schools when they have to punish students for what presumably includes coughing in some other kid's face and scampering off giggling.

It looks like that totally silly pronouncement has now been removed from the press release. 

5 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

All you need is a Manx NI number to qualify as a returning Manx resident so maybe give your MHK a nudge? Also I know a few who have had houses let for years and so have a Manx tax record as even though it’s basically passive rental income you get a current Manx tax allowance. Those seem to be the two most popular ways if you haven’t been here for a while. 

She has a Manx NI number but is uk resident. Perhaps that's the difference?

The rate things are going the baby will be a year old before her Manx great grandmother gets see her.

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

She has a Manx NI number but is uk resident. Perhaps that's the difference?

The rate things are going the baby will be a year old before her Manx great grandmother gets see her.

Sultan is incorrect. The details are here https://covid19.gov.im/media/1353/residency-guidance-aug-2020-emergencypowers-coronavirus-continuation-no2-amendment-no2-regulations2020.pdf

9 hours ago, Banker said:

..........Howie and the rest of government have confirmed that the economy is suffering because borders are closed, unemployment is 320% more than 22 months ago and likely to increase and many businesses are struggling.

not sure how that makes the economy performing well.

People that don't get sick and die tend to spend more money maybe?<_<

7 hours ago, piebaps said:

I’m not incorrect as I know several people who qualified on either of those basis. The rules do not seem to be that strictly adhered to. If you have a house here even if it’s been rented out and you haven’t lived here for years seems to be fine as all they want to see is if it’s registered in your name. You have a tax allowance/record against the income too. Equally having a Manx NI number seems to be acceptable. As always it seems to be a case of not what you know but who you know to get it all approved. The electoral register criteria is meaningless as half the people who actually do live here aren’t on it anyway.

The cover all as at the end - “an individual who does not fall within any of the descriptions above but who is able to provide other evidence to satisfy the Chief Secretary that he or she is a resident of the Island” which can be translated as “anyone we want really”. Andy maybe doesn’t have friends in high enough places! 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1

I'm really uncertain about the need to charge £50 for the test. It seems pretty petty against the background of the other statements getting wheeled out yesterday - the economy, mental health - if not just been seen to be doing the right thing for residents. In the general scheme of things to charge this fee is silly. Knowing IOMG, by the time they have developed a process and system to administer it would have been more cost effective just to test everyone for free on arrival. 

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dunroamin said:

Go on Quayle, grow some: 

Keep your eyes on Guernsey.

If they go to entry testing, you can be sure Howard will follow his best pal Gavin’s lead.

They drink Pimms together in Fedoras, they are that tight.

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/09/04/more-drinking-smoking-and-worrying-during-the-covid-crisis/

Nice to see Jersey’s Government recognising the negative effects of lockdown aside the economic downturn & referencing why they mitigated virus transmission with their measures.

More drinking means more pubs full means we are all happy & the economy is roaring (according to our resident experts here).

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1

Lots of interesting local COVID snippets on MR News online this morning.

Rob Callister says TT2021 needs to go ahead for the sake of TT's own future and the local economy.

Local veg suppliers Allanson's say that the increased buying of local produce produced a "blip" during lockdown that has now disappeared as consumers revert to their normal sources, a theory also supported by a local butchers.

And a FOI request has revealed that Govt stumped up £65k to have Greenlight and Co produce a "studio" atmosphere for the COVID briefings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Lots of interesting local COVID snippets on MR News online this morning.

Rob Callister says TT2021 needs to go ahead for the sake of TT's own future and the local economy.

Local veg suppliers Allanson's say that the increased buying of local produce produced a "blip" during lockdown that has now disappeared as consumers revert to their normal sources, a theory also supported by a local butchers.

And a FOI request has revealed that Govt stumped up £65k to have Greenlight and Co produce a "studio" atmosphere for the COVID briefings.

Quayle referenced the infection rate number of 1 in 5,000 as the trigger point for further easing on restrictions.

It could be many months, perhaps years before we see the U.K. get there as social distancing & schools returning means they’ve completely given up on this. Not that they really started in all honesty.

It pains me to say it as I absolutely love(d) the TT, it’s gone next year and likely gone forever.

BUT ... we’ve protected the NHS!

Edited by Nom de plume

8 hours ago, Southfork said:

To be honest I’d love to see how the first case of malicious coughing by a 15 year old student would be pursued through the courts. Probably just like the lockdown convictions for dog walking to be honest. It’s a aren't my postings a load of old shite. 

fixed