TT 2022 ??

Barlow

32 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

In the event of a red flag they want ALL potential danger all around the circuit neutralising immediately so that all the attention can be focussed on the incident that caused the session to be stopped. They absolutely want to make sure that someone at racing speed ten miles further up the road doesn’t create another incident.

Highly visible light boards at regular intervals around the circuit make that possible.  One button push and the entire circuit is neutralised with no need for numerous radio messages so all the attention is on dealing with the incident.

There should be line-of-sight between all marshal's posts. There should not be any part of the course that is out of sight of a marshal's post. But this is TT.

The Clerk of the Course should be able to make a single radio message that is heard by all marshal's posts.

Because of the speed they travel, any rider will be no more than a few seconds away from a flag marshal's post.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

I don't think you have ever witnessed a brutal blunt force trauma death, I have, Derek Flint has, Wrighty has - spot the common denominator....... none of us are exactly fans of the TT.

I have, and dealt with the aftermath on several occasions, in fact I survived a blunt force trauma accident myself, with a lot of help from Nobles, Broadgreen and the Royal Liverpool.

I would still take part in the TT if I could.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The next person to mention Everest is a big shit.

In the PBS video a few posts ago, as Hillary and Tensing arrive back at base camp the dark-haired fellow greeting them is, I think, Michael Ward, the expedition doctor (also a climber, but not one of the front-runners). After he retired he wrote a book about Everest that I think is very interesting. The leader of the expedition, John Hunt, early in the expedition moved Tensing from the sherpa team to the climbing team. Hunt arranged for two other climbers to try for the summit before Hillary/Tensing. They did not make it (they were using a different oxygen set to that used by Hillary and Tensing), but they did break tracks and set up a very high camp that Hillary and Tensing then used to make their attempt from. It seems that Hunt made the effort to give a local a chance to be the first to summit Everest.

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There should be line-of-sight between all marshal's posts. There should not be any part of the course that is out of sight of a marshal's post. But this is TT.

The Clerk of the Course should be able to make a single radio message that is heard by all marshal's posts.

Because of the speed they travel, any rider will be no more than a few seconds away from a flag marshal's post.

There pretty much is line of sight, there is a single radio message to call a red flag, the CoC presses a button also to activate the electronic red flag, not sure what you mean?

• Like 1

There definitely needs to be an investigation of what happened at Ago's Leap, twice, and both times to sidecars.  As I have said before, perhaps sidecars are a bit irrelevant now in a road racing event as they are not usual road vehicles and certainly not in the form they are raced. 

I am not a bike fan, but I do like to see the island come alive during TT.  I also like that anywhere I have been, when you try to explain about the IOM, if you say 'TT'  most people immediately recognise it.  But I would like to be proud of it and not be embarrassed because it is viewed as a reckless and dangerous event. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There pretty much is line of sight, there is a single radio message to call a red flag, the CoC presses a button also to activate the electronic red flag, not sure what you mean?

It seems to me that the single radio message to all marshals to put out the red flags is sufficient, and that the red lights are unnecessary and a possible source of technical problems.

There seems to have always been a reluctance to engage in any course modifications other than those that will "increase the lap speed". I put that in commas because the reason that is always trotted out is efficiency and safety as public roads use (which may also be true).

There's been plenty of discussion (some cynical) on these boards before as to this, Windy Corner, Brandish, Quarry Bends to name the popular examples which all have been straightened/improved in the name of public roads use; even Governor's now has riders using the wider road to take a slightly faster line - but all these have had the effect of speeding up the TT course.

When, if ever, was there a public roads mod that would have had the effect of slowing a TT lap? Answer, never that I can think of? Any such suggestion would immediately be met with howls of outrage and objections to "altering the nature of the course". Yet modifications that increase its speed are welcomed and let in.

Now compare this approach with the NW200 which has had chicanes installed in areas now deemed too fast previously...and even the complete loss of some Irish road circuits because they are deemed to dangerous for the modern bikes and speeds.

My fear is that our dogma and blind pursuit of speed will be our undoing. The TT has been here for 115 years. Those pushing for a buck aren't here for that long at all and won't care after they've made that buck and moved on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It seems to me that the single radio message to all marshals to put out the red flags is sufficient, and that the red lights are unnecessary and a possible source of technical problems.

Ahh, they use both. The red flag is where riders pull in, if they stop immediately in a dangerous spot there may be a collision so they proceed slowly to the flag in the knowledge that the race is over.

3 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Erm! The run down to governors when the new roundabout went in.

Road safety wasn’t compromised and they retained the old road for TT.  The same could be done in most other places if ever needed

No...as I put in my previous post, the riders are now using the extra width of the road at the new roundabout to maintain speed around the right hander. That hasn't slowed the lap speed in any way.

5 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

You said any change to the public roads that would slow the course or alter it would never see the light of day.

The fact is that they just worked around it and improved the road for the public without impacting on the course.  

The "new" Governor's hasn't slowed the course in any way though, it's made it faster. I'd say that riders are now saving around 2 seconds a lap over the previous layout, watch old and new footage of the corner. That's a considerable saving when you consider the lap times and margins we now deal with.

• Like 1