Russia

Sentience

3 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Only if Russia attempts to us violence illegitimately. 

Hmmm. I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure I agree. The War Against Terror, certainly the early bits of the war in Afghanistan was NATO. US called it, part of the treaty, 'an attack on one is an attack on all' or whatever. You'd have to go some way to convince me NATO acted within its remit there.

The very existence of NATO represents a threat to Russia. That is inarguable. You can argue its merits or whatnot as much as you want, but simply by being a military thing it represents a threat to someone who is not part of the thing.

Unless you talk and are friends (Sweden).

53 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hmmm. I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure I agree. The War Against Terror, certainly the early bits of the war in Afghanistan was NATO. US called it, part of the treaty, 'an attack on one is an attack on all' or whatever. You'd have to go some way to convince me NATO acted within its remit there.

The very existence of NATO represents a threat to Russia. That is inarguable. You can argue its merits or whatnot as much as you want, but simply by being a military thing it represents a threat to someone who is not part of the thing.

Unless you talk and are friends (Sweden).

I think Russia (CCCP) has forcibly occupied more countries in Europe since WW2 than NATO.

You do not see Russia wanting to hand back Kaliningrad or the large amount of Polish territory it still has.