Nobody mentioning the Queens visit next week?

kevster

1 hour ago, finlo said:

I saw them washing a streetlight on the quay!

its a pity they didn't wash the  black and white chevrons on the Fort North roundabout  I believe they are glazed   and would come up like new , someone said Bobby Sadler's  had sold out of Jeyes Fluid , all the white lines  and Zebra markings , freshly painted ,   Camilla should come over more often , her presence  might help the clean the place up and help restore some civic pride 

• Like 3

On 3/18/2024 at 9:22 AM, The Phantom said:

All ready a bunch of UK Armed Police hanging about this morning. 

They'll be for David Ashford's girlfriend. It only takes a few minutes to look through her X account to realise that a friendly female undercover firearms officer is going to "befriend" her from behind the barriers to ensure she's kept an eye on and as far away from Camilla as possible https://twitter.com/KittySaysWhat19/with_replies

• Sad 1

Queen Camilla's impending visit to Douglas, stirred a whirlwind of anticipation among the islanders. Streets buzzed with excitement, but as the day drew near, whispers of inconvenience rippled through the community.

Road closures were announced, rerouting traffic and disrupting daily routines. Commuters grumbled as detours added minutes to their journeys. Yet, amidst the inconvenience, there lingered an air of curiosity and excitement.

Government workers hustled to tidy up the town, painting lampposts and pruning hedges. Shop owners polished their storefronts, eager to present a picturesque image for the royal guest. Despite the grumbling about the inconvenience, there was an undeniable sense of pride in hosting royalty.

As the day arrived, crowds gathered along the designated route, eager to catch a glimpse of Queen Camilla's procession. Flags waved, and children perched atop their parents' shoulders, straining to see over the throngs of people.

Finally, the moment arrived. The royal motorcade glided through the streets, accompanied by cheers and applause. Queen Camilla, regal and composed, acknowledged the crowd with a gracious smile.

After her departure, life in Douglas gradually returned to normal. The roads reopened, and the bustling rhythm of everyday life resumed. Yet, the memory of Queen Camilla's visit lingered, a moment of excitement and disruption woven into the fabric of island life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, iomtimes said:

They'll be for David Ashford's girlfriend. It only takes a few minutes to look through her X account to realise that a friendly female undercover firearms officer is going to "befriend" her from behind the barriers to ensure she's kept an eye on and as far away from Camilla as possible https://twitter.com/KittySaysWhat19/with_replies

31 thousand + posts, that’s a lot.

With the recent national and international furore over the Royal Family manipulating images in the media, I'm already looking forward to seeing a picture of Camilla today posing with the Bee Gees statue on Loch Prom, and perhaps one of her sitting on Norman Wisdom's knee outside the Town Hall.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mysteron said:

With the recent national and international furore over the Royal Family manipulating images in the media, I'm already looking forward to seeing a picture of Camilla today posing with the Bee Gees statue on Loch Prom, and perhaps one of her sitting on Norman Wisdom's knee outside the Town Hall.

Perhaps one with the chewing gum removal machine, alongside Professor Dr David Ashford MHK MBE. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sign in said:

I so hope a question is raised at Tynpotwald regards the cost and who will be footing the bill?

Why though?

let's say the question gets asked and the answer is say hypothetically 2 million pounds, what are you going to do with that information other than shake your fist and rant about it on social media?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McDonald’s takings will have jumped. Around 9 police in a Civil defence minibus rocked up there at 11 this morning . Manc lads most with compulsory beards and I must say far better turned out than our lot. And not a paunch between them. 

Saw the videos on IOMtoday. Looked nice and I’m genuinely happy for the city. An increased feeling of civic pride is a good thing, as is raising our profile. I’m raising a glass to her majesty from far away. To the city of Douglas! From the city of Manila. 

IMG_1482.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Why though?

let's say the question gets asked and the answer is say hypothetically 2 million pounds, what are you going to do with that information other than shake your fist and rant about it on social media?

Very good point as I accept that nothing will come of it, regardless of whats said 👍

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Why though?

I’m not sure I agree with the premise of the question here. Knowing the cost can have an effect on public opinion on visits such as these. And I don’t mean by that that royal visits should be opposed as a kneejerk reaction, but that more thought be given to the substance and purpose of the visits in light of the cost (even if they are less frequent or we wait longer for them). And I don’t take the view that public opinion is irrelevant - during my lifetime the royal family have adapted to changes in public opinion in various ways. 

• Like 1

I have been watching Manx Radio’s recording of the Queen at Government House and the children she had chatted to were interviewed , without exception they said they had really enjoyed meeting the Queen she had chatted to them and they thought she was lovely.    How refreshing after reading some of the cynical and nasty remarks online made by some sad and sour people.   The day appears to have gone very well and I am glad for all involved.    

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I have been watching Manx Radio’s recording of the Queen at Government House and the children she had chatted to were interviewed , without exception they said they had really enjoyed meeting the Queen she had chatted to them and they thought she was lovely.    How refreshing after reading some of the cynical and nasty remarks online made by some sad and sour people.   The day appears to have gone very well and I am glad for all involved.    

That’s the spirit - I don’t think interviewing a 7 year old who has just met The Queen (Jimmy Saville’s best mates second wife) is a true barometer of public opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1